I don’t know about you, but my head is reeling…! What to do for the best? Continue working, shut myself away, or carry on with life as usual (even though it is very unusual). I am proud to say, I am following all the government guidelines, washing my hands… a lot, not stockpiling at the supermarket, abiding by the social distancing rules and in general being a kind and considerate citizen.
My business, Chatty Flamingo, which I am totally in love with, is at the very heart of this article, along with a BIG dollop of me! Like many small business owners there is an underlying worry that hard times are ahead and our businesses may not make it… Chatty Flamingo is all about developing a positive mindset, inspiring women to embrace their struggles and learn to dance with life……so this current predicament we find ourselves in, is in fact, our perfect challenge. So why don’t we face it together?
What can we do when life as usual becomes unusual?
The simple answer is adapt! It seems to me, wherever we turn, there is bad or sad news. This feeds our fear and makes people panic! Yes, undoubtedly, we are in uncertain times and we have no idea how long for; but what we can do is make it as easy for ourselves as possible. One thing I do know for sure, worrying will not make the situation any better or speed up the process.
Wherever and however possible let’s remain positive. Here are some tips:
- Keep yourself updated from official channels only
- Use social media to be positively social not for updates
- Talk about how you are feeling, what your concerns are with people you trust
- Do things that make you happy everyday
- Do one act of kindness everyday even if it is something as simple as sending a text to a friend
- Write down 3 things you are grateful for, daily
- Join a support group
If you’re interested Chatty Flamingo has set up a closed facebook group called Chatty Flamingos Dance With Life, (there’s no actual dancing!) feel free to join. We’d love to see you there! It’s a group of positivity, to inspire and motivate you to help you dance with life during these very unusual times we find ourselves in! It is a new group, so there’s not loads of content in there at the moment, but as it develops it will be full of love, support , inspiration and laughs!
And for us business owners out there, what can we do when business as usual becomes unusual?
*Scratches head and reaches for the prosecco…!
One thing is clear, we have to think outside the box… if we are a face to face client-based business, this simply may not be enough to ensure we make it through. Here are a few tips for consideration:
- Create an online solution – can you convert what you were doing face to face to online? You may have to adapt your offering slightly
- Team up with another business, collaboration is a great way to stay afloat
something completely different to your clients – you may have to dig deep for
this one… ask yourself these questions:
- What do my clients need from me?
- What do my clients want from me?
- How can I get my expertise to them?
- What are my skills? (these may be different to your current business)
- What do I love? Can you turn a hobby into an online offering alongside your business?
You get the idea. Once you have your idea/s, list out who you need to contact and what you need to do to make your idea a reality. Then go make it happen. Be brave, face any fears, and believe you can achieve anything you set out to…
I strongly believe how we think and approach the situation will have a significant impact on how challenging we find it. That being said my advice is stay safe, stay positive and stay healthy.
If you like this article and it’s given you food for thought, why not be a flamingo, jump on facebook and like our Chatty Flamingo page.
If you’d like to get and give more ongoing support why not consider joining one or both of our groups. To live your best life join Chatty Flamingos Dance With Life, alternatively if you are a small business owner join our Chatty Flamingos in Business group. Both groups have been set up to chat, learn, support, encourage and have some fun!